Sunday, September 6, 2009
Cream, Sugar and All Things Fat. In Dutch.
I CANNOT BELIEVE I FORGOT ABOUT MY POFFERTJES.
I JUST CAN'T.
How can one forget something one went searching throughout the Netherlands for?
How can one forget something that can be mouthful to pronounce but all one can think about is having mouthfuls of?
How can one forget dessert!?
Pronounced pof-fer-ti-yes, for anyone trusting my Dutch skills, they call it "Dutch pancakes" in english. Of course, anything that's made of flour and can be modified with all things sweet and nice are pancakes. Such an easy way out! Wikipedia calls them "traditional Dutch batter treat" which is much more vague but I like it. I later found out they're "batter leavened with yeast." Either way, one thing's for sure- you'll ALWAYS have room for these "whatever nationality pancakes" or "traditional whatever batter treat", if they come with sugar.
With a bit of research- if you call wikipedia research- I found out poffertjes are turned before one side is completely done, which results in a much softer core than pancakes have. They typically are served with powdered sugar (LOADS of them) and butter.
Temporary poffertjes "houses" appear across The Netherlands from September to March, which was what we found as we walked aimlessly on the streets of Rotterdam. It was a huge tent set up like a proper restaurant/ cafe, with generated heating, and an "indoor" outdoor area for smokers. Something like those street side soju-bbq stalls I see a lot on Korean tv.
Wait, maybe this one had a permanent established foundation with the tent rather attached to it. Anyhow, these cafes usually have these in dozens, but mine had half dozens as well. Remember spending approx. EUR 4.00 for a plate.
Anyhow, I had mine with bananas and cream and a dollop of syrup caramel. Tell me, how can that go wrong?
Have poffertjes with a nice warm latte and you'll be contented for the day. That's my promise.
Labels:
Gastronomie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Twitter
Facebook
RSS
3 comments (+add yours?)
wow. thats enough icing sugar to bake a cake.
ko kena kasi balance sket, masuk ah nasi kerabu ngan sambal sotong, campur tempoyak ke..br ah ganah..
Nasi kerabu dan sambal sotong tetap di hati. InsyaAllah nantikan kehadiran versi2 Malaysia pulak once I return to Malaysia forever this summer.
Post a Comment