Saturday, May 3, 2008
Lu Pilih Ah!
Despite the horrendous, lightly raining day the day before, we decided to get our butts off of the wonderful old nunnery-turned-youth-backpackers-hostel we stayed in; Villa Saint Exupery and into Old Town.
The 2nd time we were in old town, I was determined to get something good out of it- and so I went onto my quest for Soupe Au Pistou searching. Sure enough, it was there on the blackboard of "Today's Specials" of Lou Piliha Leva.
Yes. I am afraid this post is only about Lou Piliha Leva, but I assure you- the simple soup au pistou was a remarkable experience. Just from the way the grated cheese melts and thickens the thick vegetable based broth. It is truly provencal (dubbed Provencal Minestrone), one of the must have's of Nice besides other Nicoise delights.
Soupe au Pistou
At one glance, you would think, I am paying €7.00 for a boring vegetable soup? However, I convinced myself I needed something else other than kebabs and contemporary North African-integrated France that was getting to me. Until I found out, the KEY ingredient that makes the boring vegetable soup a French Culinary extraordinare, and the French, well... French is voila! Le Pistou.
As it turns out, the Pistou- the secret ingredient- is, I quote
an intense concentration of garlic, cheese, oil and tomato paste that knocks those poor little naked veggies ecstatically flat
Well, a sure kill is the fact that it's basically just french for Pesto.
It was, without a doubt a vegetable soup. And for a bit Lou Piliha's mules frites (Mussels in cream and herb sauce served with fries) seemed rather the obvious choice. But it was really mind blowingly good- even for a hungry stomach- nourishing and filling.
Here is a great, and simple recipe for Soupe Au Pistou. Vegan and simple. The epitome of healthy, contemporary living.
Stock
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, thickly sliced
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 head fennel, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 plum tomatoes, quartered
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
Soup
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup diced onion
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1/2 cup diced carrot
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 tbsp minced fresh thyme
1 1/2cups drained and chopped canned plum tomatoes
2 cans (15 ounces each) white cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
6 tsp prepared pesto or extra-virgin olive oil
For the stock:
In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium heat; stir in ingredients. Cover. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 30minutes. Add 8 cups water. Bring to a boil. Lower heat; simmer for 45 minutes. Strain, reserving broth and half the vegetables. Skim fat. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Puree reserved vegetables in a blender. Stir into stock.
For the soup:
Heat oil in the same pot. Sauté onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and herbs. Add reserved broth, tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil. Lower heat; simmer 30 to 45 minutes. Ladle into bowls; drizzle with pesto or oil.
Labels:
Gastronomie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Twitter
Facebook
RSS
2 comments (+add yours?)
pesto has tomato paste?
isnt it green? basil, olive oil, cheese, garlic and chopped pine nuts?
-great for instant pasta for lazy people
that's the thing, i believe it's the garlic. but yeah, the usual pesto we know is intensely green. Haven't seen pistou in its uncooked form though.
Post a Comment