Friday, May 30, 2008

Leon-ing on That Cold Summer Day

Since Nadia Mydin came all the way and I was away for the weekend, I was naughty enough to bully her into coming to Leon at Bankside, in hope for the summer menu. I felt bad, as not only it was rainy, and she and Fez had to drag along her luggage and be straight on their way to St Pancras International, but also because Leon and Allegra still have yet to mesmerize us with a the awaited summer menu.

Exam season is almost over, while it is just starting for Miss Nadia. That little outing was possibly the last of those 90's nights and random weekends I will have with them. I am nevertheless, happy to report that the delight that accompanied us, however, was nothing short of a disappointment!!!

Our dear smart Faez suggested they bring along Churros, which I thought were Palmiers. I insisted that I couldn't find any of these churros things, to Nadia, during my trip to Espana, NOT even at that famous fancy patissiere in Sevilla. Being lazy enough to drag myself up to Bayswater for coffee and churros, they brought it here!
By saying this, Nadia would be displeased. But I said it anyways.
I truly think there is a chinese/ Malaysian name for Churros. CAKOI! HAHA.
But yeah, I was slightly mislead. These fried pastries have similar properties of cakoi, yet they were more "filled" and "sturdy." It was properly compact, and the batter was slightly salted, that the clash of this fried saltiness and sweet icing and cinnamon sugar topping was quite extraordinary.
Tried my best to capture the interior texture



I was told nothing goes better than Churros than black, black coffee. So we dipped away into Fez's Americana. Even after havong 20 of these delightful things, they still kept me wanting more!

A typical arrangement



Not exactly cuisine extraordinaire I know, but that's what they are all about them lot. Small daily pleasures!

1 comments (+add yours?)

Anonymous said...

i'll show you beavers tail. taste exactly like cakoi. just that the dough was made into boat shape and the middle is filled with maple butter and chocolate sauce. you can have them with cinnamon sugar topping too.

Post a Comment