Friday, April 9, 2010

Me, Nab and Frank





Thinking it was going to be this nice Saturday that Nabila persuaded me out with her, I told myself I really can do the outing; a) because I really need the sun and city and people, beyond those I see at the supermarket every 2 days, b) I really wanted to go check out Thanks for Franks with someone. It's been a while now since I accidentally found it.

The 9th of April turned out to be a Friday- there definitely was going to be that lunch working crowd. I thought heck, let's just give it a try. I should have remembered the fact that Thanks for Franks lie right in between the narrower streets of Marlborough/ off Carnaby Street area. And there hardly should be any business looking crowd in that area.

I would have been right, but it did take us sometime to grab a seat al fresco. I initially decided on Salmon Teriyaki Sandwich since it was mentioned in the review, but that then realised why there were so little on the menu, although they had their prized "Best Designed Sandwich Award 2009" Chicken Grilled Sandwich on the menu. It was because they also had smaller chalkboard hanging below the overhead menus- and I saw my lunch for the day; "My Big Fat Greek" Sandwich. Don't ask me where they get these American Grill Bar Chain- type names for their sandwiches. It wasn't even deliberate. Only a few had names. The place really didn't strike as anything special or thematic.

To be honest, I didn't know why I insisted on Thanks for Franks. I can't even experiment their chicken sandwich. It didn't even have much to offer. Too simple a menu, no over-friendly Italian-accented owners behind the counter, not overly decorated either. Maybe it was the plain blue, the word luncheonette, and the fact that I'd hate to miss out on something like this.


Alhamdulillah (Thank god) I didn't! Nabila loved her salmon sandwich which was a fat salmon fillet steak, lightly flavoured with teriyaki sauce on a bed of lettuce tomatoes, between fluffy naturally, dough-sweet brioche.



I was surprised at such a simple-looking deli, they would have in stock this succulent piece of salmon. Even Nabila assured me the fact a couple of times.

Mine was a bit more fresh tasting, of bed of salad on buttery, lightly toasted insides (but no butter) sesame burger bun.



There was some sort of salad dressing- pink-ish, which makes me assume a thousand island like concoction, which was weird in a burger, but it wasn't all bad. With that there were bits of olive tapenade. On this fresh bush of green salad and tomatoes, coupled with chewy grilled halloumi cheese, it was good! By far the best cheese burger, after my having been to succumb to cheese and vegetarian burger options these past few years.



I had a good time. An old guy, who did turn out to be this Italian-accented over chatty, friendly owner looking, presumably Frank took us a photo.


Notice the Kath Kidston table cloth motif.

0 comments (+add yours?)

Post a Comment