Saturday, April 12, 2008

Belem Blowing My Mind

Belem was a bit far out of Central Lisbon, almost like a city of its town, on the outskirts of hustling bustling Lisbon (Lisboa). But I was determined. Clutching the treasured Lonely Planet Europe Guide, I was still excited the idea of trying out every must eat they recommend. And Pasteis de Belem was said to be where the best Pateis de Nata (Custard Tart) in Portugal are manufactured. Notice I used the word manufactured. Like how RotiBoy started off in Suria KLCC, dozens being made by the seconds. Buyers literally come and request for the number right away without having to mention what they want.

People usually come, I am guessing for only 3 disticnt reasons:
  1. Pasteis de Nata
  2. To sit down and drink in the classic atmosphere of tiled walls, almost like Portugals own "Kopitiam"
  3. To appreciate the light, classic, alcohol.
It was striking indeed that visitors wanting to "visit" and tour around the coffee-shop cum restaurant cum "factory" can happily make their way through to the back and see through a clearly made for visitors to see, see through kitchen. Where aunties in plastic head caps efficiently pulls THOUSANDS of soft, crispy, hot from the oven pasteis de natas off of their baking trays. For a second I enjoyed them looking back at me with the usual puzzled look I was getting used to in Portugal (because of the headscarf) ;)



I wouldn't say it was disappointing. It was well, just normal. It was good. But normal good. Of course the first few bites were mind blowing. The texture, paste and physical appearance was exactly as I expected it to be- like the Portuguese egg tarts at King's Confectionary from Rawang. (I meant the fluff pastry instead of the heavy crust). This was however the very thing that made it... well sort of "safe" and unchallenging.
Retailing at EUR 0,90 each, it came with cinnamon and powdered icing.
Not bad for the effort of going all the way to Belem.

2 comments (+add yours?)

Anonymous said...

portugal.wow.
gile swell.

farhana said...

swell? nani! gila canada!
jangan balik accent cukopp!!
im stuck here with your ex accent. them brits! urgh.

Post a Comment